In 1898 a condensed milk factory was established on Cressbrook Creek, northwest of Brisbane. The town that grew around the factory was eventually connected by rail to Ipswich, and renamed Toogoolawah. In 1907 the factory was bought by Nestle Anglo-Swiss, expanding to an enterprise employing 150 staff at its peak.
The factory closed in 1930 and remained vacant until 1951, when a fire destroyed all but the packing shed. In recent years the local council secured funding to stabilise the building and convert it into an art gallery and community venue.
Landscapology was engaged to provide master planning advice and design input. Working with PHAB Architects we located the coach driveway and parking required by council, and designed a strategy for access and circulation.
An existing Silky Oak tree was retained, and planting with a weeping habit and white flowers was specified to reference condensed milk flowing over the remnant structures.
The alignment of the former railway siding was also planted with grasses.
Heritage: Converge Heritage & Community
Client: Somerset Regional Council